James Mein (1761 – 1827) benefactor, farmer, Presbyterian lay leader
James Mein’s position in the Presbyterian Church is not entirely clear. Some have referred to him as an elder, others as a catechist. He certainly played the major part in the affairs of the Ebenezer congregation.
James Mein arrived in New South Wales accompanied by his wife Susannah in the Coromandel on 13 July 1802. He was one of a group of devout Presbyterians, including John Howe, Owen Cavanough and J. Grono, who settled at Portland Head. There Mein received a grant of 100 acres (40 ha) dated 14 April 1803. His position in the Presbyterian Church is not entirely clear. Some have referred to him as an elder, others as a catechist. He certainly played the major part in the affairs of the Ebenezer congregation, leading at worship in the absence of a regular minister and lending his house for religious services until the erection of the church there in 1809, the first Presbyterian Church built in Australia. For this he earned the praise of Rev. John Dunmore Lang who described him as a ‘venerable’ man.
In 1816 he subscribed to the Waterloo fund, in 1817 to the relief fund for sufferers from the Hawkesbury River flood, and in 1819 to the Windsor Charitable Institution. A year later he joined the committee of the Windsor Bible Association and in 1826 served on juries at Windsor Quarter Sessions.
Source of above land-title map and further information http://www.jenwilletts.com/mein.htm
Leave a Reply, comments are welcome.