Kenyon St. Vincent Welch

Kenyon St. Vincent Welch (1884 – 1942) first ‘flying’ doctor
Kenyon St Vincent Welch was an outstanding applicant for the position – a well-established Sydney surgeon of early middle age, prepared to leave home, family, and practice for 12 months. He became the first flying doctor.  In his year of service, he treated 225 patients and made 50 flights, covering an area of 32,000 kilometres.

On 17 May 1928, Kenyon St Vincent Welch made the first emergency flight from Cloncurry to Julia Creek, on board a De Havilland model DH50 aircraft hired from the Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services Ltd (later to become Qantas).  The aircraft was flown by Arthur Affleck.

Welch had been selected from 22 applicants responding to an advertisement in the Australian Medical Journal. The position was for a full time doctor, to be paid 1000 pounds per year, whose duties would be to attend all urgent medical and accident cases, as well as to make regular visits to remote places lacking other medical services. It was also stipulated that the Flying Doctor would neither be allowed to practise privately, nor likely have the time to do so.

“There was an outstanding applicant: Dr Kenyon St Vincent Welch. He was a well-established Sydney surgeon of early middle age, prepared to leave home, family, and practice for 12 months because he had always wanted to work in some such manner and had been unable to serve in the First World War.”

Welch took up his duties at Cloncurry on 15 May 1928 and made his first flight two days later in a single engine, fabric covered, cabin bi-plane capable of carrying a pilot and four passengers at a cruising speed of just under 80 miles per hour. Welch and the pilot flew from Cloncurry to Julia Creek, (approximately 100 kilometres) to attend to two patients at the Julia Creek Bush Nursing Home, one of whom had attempted suicide by trying to cut his own throat. Welch landed nearby, walked to the nursing home and successfully performed two minor operations.

Typical entries from the doctor’s diary suggest that it was not uncommon for him to “make a 300km flight before breakfast, perform an operation then be back to base by lunchtime, flying at night only on urgent cases, landing in paddocks and rough clearings.”

Not only did Welch have to fly great distances to try to reach a patient in time, often this was stalled by difficult weather and flying conditions as the following story tells:

In April, 1929… an 80-month-old baby on Koolatah Station, on Cape York Peninsula, was suffering from acute gastro-enteritis. The call for help was carried eighty miles by an Aboriginal stockman splashing through flooded country, then relayed by station telephones until it reached Normanton and was passed on to Cloncurry. Obviously the case was urgent and [the pilot] flew the Victory to Normanton through low clouds and rain… They picked up the stockman and flew north to Koolatah… The clouds grew thicker and lower and the rain heavier until he was barely skimming the treetops… Eventually he sighted the hastily cleared airstrip and landed safely. Dr Welch decided to take the mother and baby back to Cloncurry… and the baby recovered in hospital.

Not all of these early missions had a successful outcome. Sometimes it took so long for the message to get to the Cloncurry base that it was just too late by the time the flying doctor got there. Very soon, however, the service was enhanced by Alfred Traeger’s invention of a pedal wireless (radio) which enabled them to send and receive communications across vast distances. The pedal wireless and the flying doctor were soon to become icons of medicine in the Australian Bush.

Kenyon St Vincent Welch was the first flying doctor and served for one year, before returning to Sydney to continue his practice. In his year of service, he treated 225 patients and made 50 flights, covering an area of 32,000 kilometres.

Source :,_Kenyon_St_Vincent

Further information
The first official flight for the Flying Doctor Service left Cloncurry in May 1928.  The aircraft, name Victory, was piloted by Arthur Affleck, and Dr Kenyon St Vincent Welsh was the attending doctor. The flight’s destination was Julia Creek, 85 km away, and after an hour’s flying the little plane landed at the makeshift airstrip to be greeted by over 100 people.

The achievements of these two pioneers of the Flying Doctor Service were remarkable. In his first year, Dr St Vincent Welsh attended two hundred and fifty-five patients suffering everything from typhoid fever to gunshot wounds. Arthur Affleck flew with no navigational aids other than the maps provided by Flynn, no radio and only a compass to help with directions. He navigated by landmarks, such as fences, rivers, dirt roads, and telegraph lines, and landed at airstrips that were usually just cleared paddocks.

For the first year, Qantas charged two shillings per mile flown and also provided an engineer based at Cloncurry.

When the service began, the Flying Doctor’s responsibilities were to fly to urgent cases, render first aid and, if necessary, transport the patient to hospital; give advice by radio; fly a regular clinic circuit to areas without doctors; and consult with rural and remote doctors. Despite severe financial difficulties, the Service survived the Depression years. Flynn and his ‘right-hand man’, Dr Alan Vickers, realised the need to expand the service to a national operation, and summonsed the support of both the national parliament and the Presbyterian Church to establish the Australian Aerial Medical Service in 1934.

Source :

Kenyon St. Vincent Welch’s brother, Leslie St Vincent Welsh (1879–1947):

Stuart John St Vincent Welch writes: My grandfather Kenyon went to Sydney CE Grammar School . The “St Vincent” derives from Vicenzo Maia of Corsica of Mediterranean Semitic appearance such as my father. Dad grew a beard in WWII and visited his mother who exclaimed he looked like Jesus Christ. The patriarch John St Vincent Welch whose house became Greenwich hospital Sydney had a pipe organ and donated it to St Marks CE church, Darling Point. Earlier, our Welch relatives in south Scotland were Covenantors during the “killing time” of James II and it seems an ancestor was hanged after Bothwell Bridge battle 1679.

John Flynn

John Flynn’s associates :

J Atcheson Spalding :

Alfred Traeger :

Of note : The De Havilland D H 50, designation VH-UER, originally belonging to QANTAS was initially chartered by John Flynn for Aerial Ambulance work.   The first flight was on 17 May 1928.   Soon after the aircraft was acquired by the Australian Inland Mission.  The name of the aircraft, Victory was selected by John Flynn to commemorate the financial help from Hugh Victor McKay of Sunshine, Victoria.  The aircraft is featured on Australia’s $20 note.

H.V. McKay :


While it has not yet been established that Kenyon St. Vincent Welch or Arthur Affleck were  ‘Christians’, they obviously supported the work of the Rev John Flynn.  Further background and information on Kenyon St. Vincent Welch and Arthur Affleck would be appreciated.

Leave a Reply, comments are welcome.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.