John Gardiner (1798 – 1878) Victorian pioneer
In 1837 John Gardiner became the first president of a new Temperance Society, and his home was used for a meeting which formed a committee to build Melbourne’s first Independent Church
In 1837 John Gardiner became the first president of a new Temperance Society, and his home was used for a meeting which formed a committee to build Melbourne’s first Independent Church. Drawn to urban business in 1839, he presided at the formation and became a director of the Melbourne Fire and Marine Insurance Co. and a local director of the Melbourne branch of the Union Bank; later he resigned from the Union Bank, was appointed manager of the Port Phillip Bank, sold his Gardiner’s Creek property and built a home in Bourke Street, Melbourne. In March 1841 he was sent to London where he tried without success to raise fresh capital for the Port Phillip Bank and served on the committee for political separation of the Port Phillip District from New South Wales.
The first overlanding trip with cattle from New South Wales to Port Phillip was made in the year 1835 by John Gardiner, Joseph Hawdon, Captain Hepburn and party. The journey occupied a period of three weeks and five days. Gardiner had been settled in Van Diemen’s Land for some twelve or fourteen years. He was, by profession, a banker, associated with the Van Diemen’s Bank, and afterwards at Port Phillip with the Port Phillip bank of which he was manager.
St Michaels Uniting Church, Melbourne
It is an important example of an Independent or Congregational church and is of historical importance for its associations with the Congregational denomination, and as the site of the earliest church of this denomination in Victoria. Established in England during the Puritan movement of dissent from the Church of England, the Congregational denomination was introduced to the colony by early settlers such as John Pascoe Fawkner and John Gardiner. It remained an Independent or Congregational church from the time it was built in 1866-67 until the formation of the Uniting Church in 1977 following an agreement between the Presbyterian, Methodist and Congregational churches in 1971.
THERE WAS ANOTHER, LATER (Rev) John Gardiner
St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, Carlton
The Free Church Synod could not stand insubordination, and appointed the Rev. John Gardiner, who arrived from Scotland in March, 1862, to fill the pulpit. The Congregation, however, would not let him preach.
Presbyterian Synod of Victoria Act 1867
The land at Connewarre, with church buildings thereon erected, the property of the congregation of which the Reverend John Gardiner is the minister.
John Pascoe Fawkner : https://atributetoaustralianchristians.wordpress.com/2011/04/14/john-pascoe-fawkner/
Image above – St Michaels Uniting Church, Melbourne : http://www.walkingmelbourne.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4757
Leave a Reply, comments are welcome.