Sir James Hurtle Fisher (1790 – 1875) lawyer, pioneer, mayor, politician
There are many reminders in the Holy Trinity Anglican Church on North Terrace of links to South Australia’s early settlers including a memorial tablet on the walls to people such as Sir James Hurtle Fisher – a church trustee.
James Hurtle Fisher was born at Sunbury, then part of Middlesex, England, the eldest son of James and Henrietta Harriet Fisher. He was articled to London solicitors Brown and Gotobed and admitted to practice in July 1811. He married Elizabeth Johnson on 5 October 1813. He commenced practice as a solicitor in 1816.
Fisher became a member of the South Australian Building Committee in September 1835; in November he was selected as resident commissioner. On 13 July 1836, he was formally appointed Registrar, and, on the next day, Resident Commissioner, under the South Australian Act. His role gave him the power to dispose of public lands in the new colony – the proceeds of the sale would be, following Wakefield’s plan, used to fund the emigration of workers to the colony. In power he was to be second only to the governor, with the added stipulation that his powers and those of the governor would be entirely separate.
In October 1840, Fisher was elected inaugural Mayor of Adelaide. He was again mayor from 1852-54. He was elected into the Legislative Council in 1853, becoming speaker (1855-56) and president (1857-65), after which he retired from politics. In 1860 he was made Knight Bachelor, becoming the first resident South Australian to be knighted.
Refer also : http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/biogs/A010359b.htm
There are many reminders in the Holy Trinity Anglican Church on North Terrace, of links to South Australia’s early settlers including memorial tablets on the walls to people such as Sir James Hurtle Fisher and a plaque commemorating the role of Captain Charles Sturt as a church trustee.
Hurtle Square is a public square in Adelaide, South Australia named after James Hurtle Fisher. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurtle_Square,_Adelaide
Starting the first Anglican church in Adelaide
Eventually funds were collected and a stone building began to rise on acre nine. Even while the building grew it was used for a service of baptism, on 21 July 1838. Miss Eliza Malpas described the scene in her diary. She and Mrs Stephen walked down the hill from their residence at the SA Bank on Stephen Place to greet the others. To her it was a small building, and on the roof workmen looked on.
Mrs Fisher’s daughter Emily Anne was the first baptised by Mr Howard. Perhaps it helped, for Emily lived till 1926. Then Master Cotter and his little sister, and another Fisher child. Mr Fisher, the Resident Commissioner for the Province, was dressed in uniform, Mrs Fisher wore a maroon corded silk with a very handsome worked collar.
Mrs Cotter had a fawn silk with lace pelerine, Mrs Smart a lemon colored silk and pearl necklace, while Mrs Howard was in a stiff corded black silk, her hair tied with a cherry ribbon. They addressed a cold collation of pork, chicken, plum pudding, gooseberry pie, custard and pear tart and drank port, sherry, and ale.
Leave a Reply, comments are welcome.