The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
It has been said The Salvation Army offers caring support for every problem “from the cradle to the grave.” Our services are as wide-ranging and diverse as the areas of need in the community, like an umbrella over Australia’s social problems.
Because we have such tremendous scope in our service provision, each program is able to link with other services in the network, thus enhancing our capacity to help those in need.
Here is a snapshot of how our caring work is helping to change lives for the better and, in so doing, making this world a better place for us all.
Community Care Ministries
Court & Prison Services
Crisis & Supported Accommodation
English Speaking Classes
Outback Flying Service
Red Shield Defence Services
Which organisation established :
* the first film studio in Australia, built at 69 Bourke Street, Melbourne, 1898.
* the first Australian narrative film on social work, entitled Social Salvation, 1898-99.
* the first narrative drama film presentation, consisting of an ingenious mix of moving film, glass-slides, oratory and music. Soldiers of the Cross premiered at the Melbourne Town Hall in September 1900.
* the first feature-length documentary film, Inauguration of the Australian Commonwealth, 1901.
* the first registered film production company, The Australasian Kinematographic Company, 1901.
* the first Australian history documentary, Under Southern Skies, 1902.
* the first bushranging drama, Bushranging in North Queensland, 1902.
It was the same organisation which also :
* campaigned to raise the age of consent in the UK from 13 years of age to 16 years
* established the Missing Persons Detectives
* established the first Employment Bureau
* invented safety matches
Answers to the above questions :
Australia’s first film studio
For more people listed on this ‘Tribute to Australian Christians’ blogsite, associated with the Salvation Army, Click here
The Salvation Army conditionally supports the Safe Schools program and presumably its associated Minus18 program. As noted here, William Booth would be “rolling in his grave”.
Leave a Reply, comments are welcome.