Julian Tenison-Woods (1832-1889) Catholic priest, educationist, scientist
On 4 January 1857 he took charge of the large parish of Penola, in south-eastern South Australia. In 1862 he published his first book, Geological Observations in South Australia. With Mary MacKillop he helped to found the Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart at Penola in 1866. Tenison-Woods made original contributions to Australian geology, palaeontology and zoology.
Julian Tenison-Woods, Catholic priest, educationist and scientist, was born on 15 November 1832 at West Square, London, sixth son of James Dominick Woods, of the Middle Temple, who also worked on The Times, and his wife Henrietta Maria Saint-Eloy, née Tenison.
In 1854 in England Tenison-Woods met Bishop R. W. Willson and accompanied him to Van Diemen’s Land; they arrived in the Bernicia on 30 January 1855, but he disagreed with the bishop, left after about three months and went to Adelaide. After working as sub-editor of the Adelaide Times he entered the Jesuit college at Sevenhill near Clare, was ordained as a diocesan priest on 4 January 1857 and took charge of the large parish of Penola, in south-eastern South Australia. In 1862 he published his first book, Geological Observations in South Australia.
With Mother Mary MacKillop he helped to found the Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart at Penola in 1866.
Tenison-Woods was an accurate observer of the physical world and made original contributions to Australian geology, palaeontology and zoology. In 1883 Governor Sir Frederick Weld invited him to report on the geology and tin-mining resources of the Malay States. He also visited Java, Borneo, Siam and Japan, and saw some of the Krakatoa eruptions.
In 1885 he was asked to survey the mineral potential of the Indian Archipelago. He travelled widely in Australia and published over 150 papers in the journals and transactions of Australian learned societies and overseas periodicals; he contributed popular scientific articles to leading Australian newspapers. His substantial reports to government departments described his geological surveys of coal resources and tin-mines in Queensland and the natural history of New South Wales; he published two accounts in 1864 and 1887 of the physical geography, mineral reserves and natural history of the Northern Territory.
Tenison-Woods’s History of the Discovery and Exploration of Australia (London, 1865) in two volumes, and his serialized survey ‘Australian bibliography’ in the Australian Monthly Magazine, 1866-67, evidence wide scholarship.
A member of the Royal Asiatic Society, he was a fellow of the Geological Society of London and the Linnean Society of London and an honorary member of the New Zealand Institute, the Royal societies of New South Wales, Victoria and Tasmania and the Adelaide Philosophical (Royal) Society. He was a president of and contributed papers to the Linnean Society of New South Wales and was a member of the Union Club, Sydney. William III of the Netherlands gave Tenison-Woods a gold medal for his book, Fish and Fisheries of New South Wales (Sydney, 1883) and he was awarded the 1888 (W. B.) Clarke medal of the Royal Society of New South Wales for his work in natural history.
Complete article : http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A060272b.htm
Julian Tenison Woods
Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart
Leave a Reply, comments are welcome.