Sir Samuel Way (1836 – 1916) chief justice and lieutenant-governor
Sir Samuel Way, South Australian chief justice and lieutenant-governor assisted in the establishment of the Adelaide Children’s Hospital. He was president of the board from its foundation in 1876 until 1915. He was president (1893-1908) of the SA Public Library, Museum and Art. He also helped establish the United Methodist Church of Australia and New Zealand.
Sir Samuel Way, chief justice and lieutenant-governor, was born on 11 April 1836 at Portsmouth, Hampshire, England, eldest son of James Way, a Bible Christian minister, and his wife Jane, née Willis. Samuel attended Shebbear College, Devon, and a private school run by a Unitarian minister at Chatham, Kent.
On 6 March 1853 he joined his family in Adelaide, in time for the Sunday evening service. Articled to Alfred Atkinson, he was admitted to the Bar on 23 March 1861.
Elected in February 1875 to the House of Assembly for Sturt, in June Way became attorney-general in (Sir) James Boucaut’s ministry; when Chief Justice Sir Richard Hanson died suddenly next year, Way replaced him.
On 27 March 1876 he took his seat on the bench of the Supreme Court which he was to occupy for nearly forty years. His life entered a period of autumnal splendour during which, while assiduously attending to his judicial duties, Way was also prominent on most of South Australia’s educational, cultural and philanthropic bodies. Out of his wig he was a softly spoken man; but he drew attention by the challenging poise of his head which was always slightly held back.
Prominent among those who promoted the establishment of the Adelaide Children’s Hospital, he was president of the board from its foundation in 1876 until 1915. In addition, he was president (1893-1908) of the Public Library, Museum and Art Gallery of South Australia and was active in Freemasonry and in Bible Christian affairs. He helped to effect the union in 1900 of the three Methodist sects into the United Methodist Church of Australia and New Zealand, and remained a staunch member of the Methodist Conference.
In 1872 he had bought Montefiore, a North Adelaide mansion where he spent the rest of his life; while at the Bar he also bought Sea View, a farm near Noarlunga; on his property at Kadlunga he grazed the improved Shropshire sheep which he had introduced into Australia. He was delighted when a great pastoralist greeted him in Sydney not as the chief justice, but as ‘the breeder of Shropshires’.
From 1876 Way sometimes acted as governor during an interregnum or in the incumbent’s absence. Late in 1890 he was appointed lieutenant-governor of South Australia for life.
Complete article : http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A120462b.htm
Leave a Reply, comments are welcome.